Ridge gourd is a popular vegetable used in Indian cooking. It is a green fleshy vegetable having an inherently bland taste. It is commonly used to prepare many regular dishes such as sambhar, dal, chutney and raita, after being adequately seasoned with spices, to enhance its flavour.
Ridge gourd has many health benefits. It is rich in essential components like dietary fibre, water content, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, magnesium and vitamin B6. It is naturally low in calorie content, unhealthy saturated fats and cholesterol.
Here, I made poriyal with Peerkangai. Try this in your kitchen, you will surely like it.
|Chilli Powder||½ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||½ tsp|
|Split urad Dal||½ tsp|
1. peel off the skin of Ridge gourd / Peerkangai.
2. If the seeds are very hard, then remove. Otherwise use it.
3. Chop the Ridge Gourd in to small cubes.
4. Chop the onion finely.
5. Heat the pan with a tsp of oil.
6. Season with mustard, urad dal and hing.
7. Once its crackled, add the finely chopped onion.
8. Saute’ well until it changes colour.
9. Now add chopped Peerkangai / Ridge gourd.
10. Cook for a while.
11. Then add turmeric powder, chili powder and salt.
12. Cook ridge gourd / Peerkangai with salt and chili powder until the raw smell of chili powder goes off.
13. Let the ridge gourd cook until it is soft.
14. Finally sprinkle some roasted groundnuts. It will give crunchy feeling while eating Peerkangai / Ridge Gourd, also enchances the taste.
15. Easy and tasty Ridge gourd / peerkangai poriyal is ready to serve.