Pidhukku Avarai Kootu is a unique and very tasty with simple ingredients.
|Mochai Kottai||1½ cup|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
|Chili powder||1½ cup|
|Coriander powder||4 tsp|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|Split Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Grated Coconut||4 tbsp|
|Coriander leaves||to garnish|
|Fennel seeds||1 tsp|
1. Wash the Mochai Kottai and soak for overnight (~8 hours).
2. Next morning peel the skin, rinse the Pidhukku Avarai(skin peel Mochai Kottai) and keep aside.
Grind the coconut and fennel seeds in to a fine paste.
Chop onions and tomatoes.
1. Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard seeds and split urad dal.
2. Once it is crackled, add dry red chili, curry leaves and hing.
3. Sauté for a while and add chopped onions, fry until it turns golden brown.
4. Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until it is soft and mushy.
5. Then add the spices chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
6. Cook until oil separates.
7. Add in the grated coconut and fennel seeds grounded paste to the pan.
8. Add 1 – 2 cups of water and also the Pidhukku Avarai(don’t use more water) to the pan.
9. Let it cook until it is soft (it will cook fast), don’t cook for long time. Check the salt and adjust.
10. Once the Pidhukku Avarai is cooked well, check the consistency.
11. Switch off the flame and transfer the gravy to another bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy the yummy Kootu. Can serve with rice or roti.